Friday, July 8, 2011

All He Does is WIN, No Matter What!!

My boy never fails to amaze me. Fletcher had an assistant with him for all of his freshman year at the Univ of Memphis to assist in pushing around campus because his arms would get tired pushing and maneuvering through the crowds going from class to class but next time he rolls around campus he may have do it by himself. If you know Fletcher he’s always up for a challenge, so in typical form, as I have since his days of mighty mite football for the North Memphis Chiefs, I challenged him.

The challenge: Fletcher wouldn’t be able to push the 2.97mi(4.77k) trail at Shelby Farms without help.
The bet: I would pay him $100 if he completed it. (the boy is motivated by money)

Well I’m happy to say “I LOST”….He completed the course yesterday with no help. He was determined to make it by himself and he did. He wanted no help on the hills, up or down and I must say we are very proud of him. It took 45 mins to complete but a milestone in his road to independence. This is the same trail he ran with a 20lb weight vest in 14 mins before his accident.

On Tues, July 5th he also completed a follow-up interview with the Jackson Sun newspaper for the story “Moving Forward”. They talked with Fletcher for about 1.5hrs and also reported to us that Fletcher’s story won them a few awards.

Fletcher’s story won reporter Matt Vines 1st Place for the report and photographer Aaron Hardin 3rd place for photo-journalism at the 2011 TN Associated Press Managing Editors Awards(TAPME) held in Knoxville in May.

• Feature Reporting - 1st Place - The Jackson Sun, Matt Vines, "Moving Forward"
• Photojournalism - 3rd Place - The Jackson Sun, Aaron Hardin, "Moving Forward"

Jackson Sun Galleries

2 comments:

  1. The kid is always motivated but even more than that he is motivation!!! Not suprising he did this and it won't be suprising when he walks again!!! He is such a blessing! I am honored to know such an Incredible young man!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's motivated, persistant, and determined....I love it.....I love his tenacity..

    ReplyDelete